Drive through the rich
black soil grain growing area of the Jimbour Plains where crops
of wheat, barley, sorghum, cotton, chickpeas and corn are grown.
Notice the summer mirage, produced from the heat of the sun, on your way to Jimbour.
The tiny township of Jimbour derives its name from an Aboriginal name for fertile pasture. Home of Jimbour House, also of historical interest is the restored Jimbour cemetary and the first kerosene power driven tractor which worked the land in the area.
Don't miss the new Living History Walk with illustrative plaques and audio montage at Jimbour Station. Stroll through the beautiful formal gardens at heritage listed Jimbour House, a French classic sandstone homestead built in 1875. The home itself is not open to the public, however the gardens may be visited daily 10am to 4.30pm, weather permitting. Also on the property is a station store built approx 1864, a quaint chapel and a water tower also dating to the 1860's. The old Bull Stalls and Stables now house a display of memorabilia dating back to the early 1800's.
A timber cottage at Jimbour House was the site where explorer, Ludwig Leichhardt in 1844 planned his Port Essington (Northern Territory) expedition. A monument to the naturalist is found at Jimbour Station to mark the departure point of this epic journey. [Next Page]